Sunday, March 29, 2009
Friday, March 27, 2009
Convo: 1. That is Etsy talk for "you have an Etsy email".
I click....wow...someone is inquiring about my wholesale policies because they are interested in buying some earrings for their shop. Amazing, I think.
So my online adventures with my Etsy shop and 1000 Markets shop has been incredibly fun. It really has gone beyond just posting some earrings on the web and praying someone likes them. Lots of marketing, followup, and, of course, earring making going on.I have found and newly appreciate a whole world out there of small artisans, doing what they love, and creating pieces to sell that really come from someone's artistic talent and love for their craft. So instead of going to the mall for the same old thing, I encourage you to check out Etsy and 1000 Markets the next time you need a gift or something for yourself. Anything you can think of (and many things you could never dream up) are available there.
And if you happen to live in rural NY, check out RELM. Great store, super great owner. This is where my earrings are going: http://www.relmhandmade.com/Home.html
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Here are my Top 10 Amazing Things about my trip:
10) Sitting on a plane by myself in total silence for the entire flight...heaven!
9) Actually getting to read an entire book on the plane without interruption...appropriately it was The Power of Now (reading it again)....mantra of the weekend...Be Present!
8) Going to an amazing authentic Armenian restaurant, without having to worry if they have a kid's menu with mac 'n chz.
7) Ordering an appetizer and dessert at The Grand Luxe because I just didn't feel like an entree....nobody there to set a good example for!
6) Having a personal driver at a moment's notice (aka a taxi) without car seats, snacks, or soccer gear rolling all over.
5) No laundry, no dishes, no grocery shopping, no helping with the potty, no soccer practice schedule....this list could make up its own top 100 if I really thought about it.
4) Shopping, shopping, shopping both on Michigan Avenue and little out-of-the-way boutiques.
3) Seeing and experiencing Oprah...such a charismatic person!
2) Spending the weekend with three fabulous friends I have known for 20 years, and feeling like not a day has gone by since last seeing them!
And the #1 greatest thing about my trip was.......drum roll please.....
1) Coming home to kiss my sleeping kids goodnight feeling renewed, inspired, and rested...ready to be a mom, wife, friend, and artist again.
My post is dedicated to Michelle, my great friend who got the Oprah tickets for us!! Thanks Michelle....I had such a incredible time!
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Just letting you know that I am officially on vacation and my shops on Etsy and 1000 Markets will both be closed until the evening of March 22, hence the big white space on the right side of the page.
See you on Sunday to recap my Oprah/Chicago adventure!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Starting a creative adventure is very exciting...I could talk all day about sterling wire, cool new pliers, my great desire for a kiln....the list goes on and on.
Even with all this excitement, it is a bit intimidating to put your creative side out there for the world to see, for everyone to critique. When someone critiques my work, it's like critiquing a very personal part of me.
I try to balance the excitement and fear and just put myself out there. You know, you reach a point where you just have to give it a try. But maybe I can be a little obsessive about how my shop looks.....
Just the other day, even my daughter asked if she could look at pictures of herself, and not earrings, on the computer.
OK...so maybe I have had lime green modern on the brain lately.
But the other day all my obsessing resulted in some really exciting and validating news for my Etsy shop...
One of my designs, called up-round-over (in the blog pic), was handpicked by the admins at Etsy, a handmade shop site, to be on the front page!
It was super exciting to see my earrings right there for the world to see enjoying their 15 minutes of fame and get sold.
So thank you to all those friends and family who find themselves conversing with me about the ins and outs of the design and making of earrings, bead colors, and brand labeling ideas, though they would rather watch paint dry.
Just for the record, I did upload new pics of my DS and DD onto my facebook page, so she could see her beautiful face on the screen, and not my earrings.
But I did sneak in making another pair of up-round-overs to relist...couldn't help myself.