Thursday, February 26, 2009

Serendipity in artistic creation....


Serendipity: As defined by Wikipedia, serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely.


Sometimes I start a design with a very clear idea of how I want it to look.

Somewhere along the way...call it serendipity...something interferes. A mistake, a distraction, and wrong calculation. But suddenly my mistake sparks another idea, an idea that can turn an original design into something so much more.

Take the earrings I am featuring in the photo. One slight distraction and before I knew it, I hadn't hammered my wire flat before I formed the curve...darn, I thought, wasted sterling wire.


But as I looked closer, I decided that I would just hammer the curl flat. The result...I loved it more than my original thought for the design.

So...lesson learned...sometimes going with the flow brings a better outcome than the best laid plans. I need to remember that more often. Serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment